I’ve been a fan of Bakerella for a while. So cute and clever.
American recipes always make me a bit wary – sometimes the ingredients aren’t available here so substitutions are necessary, plus the measurements are not metric which can make things a bit more difficult.
The cake pops are made with cake mix and pre made frosting. Cake mix is no problem – now I want red velvet cake mix , but a can of cream cheese frosting? No can get. I can make it, but how much do you need? How much is 16oz in (proper, metric) grams? These are the questions that take a while to work around.
The solution – I used a chocolate cake mix and made cream cheese icing, and decided to guesstimate the amounts. I put the cake through the food processor to make the crumbs and started adding the icing to it.
The first go was too wet and goopy. More cake required, so I was lucky that I had another chocolate cake mix in the pantry. Baked, cooled and crumbed, I was ready to try again. This time I just added the too goopy mix to the dry crumbs until it could be rolled into a ball. Kind of like making rum balls (not that I’ve ever made them, but I imagine it’s the same sort of thing). Once the balls are done, I left them in the fridge overnight – I’d had enough of cake for one day. It made Heaps.
Next step – chocolate moulds. Half filled with melted chocolate, then pop the cake ball in so it looks like a cup cake. Into the freezer to set a bit, then in the fridge while I do the next set. I think if I do these again, I’ll buy more moulds so I can make more than 8 at a time.
Then the fun part – decorating! For some reason I have very little in the way of sprinkles – I kept looking at them in the supermarket, but didn’t buy any because I always have heaps on hand. Usually. Well, I’m not going to the shops so what I have will have to do.
I was very excited to find Wiltons Candy Melts were available here – they’re expensive, but I thought it would be worth it to save me trying to mix colours. But they’re not that great – they stayed fairly solid even when they were melted, so you can’t dip things easily. I ended up using a palette knife to ice the pink ones – fiddly and not great looking. I made the blue and yellow from white chocolate with powdered colours. I could dip these ones, so it was a bit quicker and easier to finish them. I tried to make lilac, but ended up with grey-ish purple-ish instead. They’ll still taste OK (and probably no one else will notice anyway).
Some are a bit wonky, but that’s why I like to make a practice batch before I am committed to an actual event. (lesson learnt the hard way). Plus I need more types of sprinkles. I ended up with about 6 dozen – I will take some to a dinner/quilting sweatshop on Thursday night, but some are going to be taken to work as well. And my sons work. They like cake. And I have Heaps of it that I’m not going to eat.